Monday, June 21, 2010

Egg Chorizo Scramble on Croissant



Sunday, Eric and I celebrated out 1 year anniversary with a day out to the Shimoda AEON Mall. There is an amazing arcade there with ridiculously cool Japanese games and lots of crane machines. I threw down some yen and bagged 2 boxes of Koala cookies and some chocolate biscuit sticks. I remember these cookies from when I was a kid. I had no idea they were Japanese until I arrived here and found them again! They are filled with vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry cream (but chocolate is the only one that matters, in my opinion).

Also, while at the mall, I stopped by the bakery on the first floor and purchased some small, glazed croissant rolls...to make Egg Chorizo Scramble!!!

2 eggs (or 0.5 cup egg beaters)
1/2 of a 4" chorizo link (sliced)
1 pinch of cumin
1 1/5 tbsp shredded parmesan
1 ridiculously delicious roll or croissant

Mix up the eggs, cumin, and parmesan with a whisk or fork and set aside.
Heat up your pan (I love the cast iron pan Eric got me for our anniversary!)
Cook the slices of chorizo until the edges are a bit crispy and set aside on a paper towel. DON'T drain the oil/fat from the pan because it will only be a very small amount and it packs A TON of flavor. Slice the roll in half (you can toast it if you like). Add the egg mixture to the pan and scramble until cooked. Layer your chorizo and eggs on the bread and VOILA! Breakfast.

Another meal on my list today was some salad...but that's pretty self-explainatory so I am going to move on the dinner. Vegetables in Japan are very...well...pretty! They artfully place them in perfect order in the grocery store and they are more vibrant and smell more intense than any other vegetables I have come across. The reason (I believe) is that the soil here is so intensely DARK. It looks as though they are plowing the fields with espresso grounds. This is due to all the volcanos that reside in Japan. Thus, creating delicious food for me to use in my...Vegetable Tofu Soup!

1 fat carrot
1/2 yellow onion
2 med yellow potatoes
2 cans chicken or veggie broth
1 clove garlic (or 1 tbsp minced garlic)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1tbsp dried rosemary)
1 pkg extra firm tofu (I seared mine slightly so it would stand up to the hot soup)

Chop carrot, onion, and potatoes into manageable, bit-sized pieces. Set aside. Start pot with broth on med and add the veggies. Let simmer for 10 minutes and then set to low heat. Add garlic early and it's less pronounced, but if you add it later the flavor will be greater so add garlic whenever your palate says GO! Add black pepper, soy, rosemary and let cook for about 30 minutes. Slice tofu into 1" cubes and add to soup. Let cook for another 10-20 minutes until potatoes are soft but not crumbling. Whip out your chop sticks and soup spoon...DIG IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment